• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts
  • Discord ID:Morg#0412
  • GW2 User ID:Shinsetsuu.2849
  • Invoker Morrighan
  • Guild:[DIE]
  • Race:Sylvari
  • Class:Revenant

Looking to upgrade from a 212 Evo air-cooling solution to a closed-loop AIO solution because temperatures are high and it's the next upgrade I'm actually looking to do aside from a new mobo (which will come whenever I upgrade the CPU, aka 4 years from now). Any pointers? I'll post what I've seen online as well as my situation.

A little preface is that the case I have, the NZXT H440, is aimed to be a liquid cooling case - airflow for air-cooling isn't so great. Case has 2 large 3x140mm fan-accommodating rows, 1 top and 1 front, and then a 1x140mm fan slot in the back. I am not looking for a massively expensive open-loop system that will make moving the computer a hassle, it's been suggested in the past but I would like to avoid it.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.5GHz

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Mobo: MSI Z97S Krait (1st Gen)

RAM: Kingston Fury White 16GB DDR3-1866

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD Blue 1TB

GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC (not refresh version)

Case: NZXT H440 (1st Gen)

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650 Gold

Current temps: average 50C idle, average 80C load such as GW2 or Overwatch 

What I've found so far:

• Corsair H110i GTX - 280mm (2x140mm) radiator: common complaint is tube rigidity and bad stock fans
  • Enermax Liqmax II - 240mm (2x120mm) radiator: at $85 it's probably a good bang for its buck, and 120mm lets me slot in my existing case fans
  • Ttake Water 3.0 - 360mm (3x120mm) radiator: $10 more than the H110i for larger radiator surface. As it's 120mm I can slot in my existing case fans
  • NZXT Kraken X61 - 280mm radiator: wow LED lighting so gud (idc about LED), brand loyalty? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Suggestions are welcome

Posted Image

Gregor Payne

Gregor Payne

Philosopher King

• FA Member
  • 428 posts
  • GW2 User ID:ric.9436
  • Gregor Payne
  • Guild:[VAC]
  • Race:Norn
  • Class:Guardian

What I use, and I highly recommend is the Corsair 100i. Its 240MM and 96$ atm. The fans are nothing special but they get the job done.

https://smile.amazon...=corsair h100i

I have a i7 4790k OC to 4.7 Ghz @ 1.4 volts, idling at about 40 degrees, and 70 underload with GW2

tdDgg.gif

Haematic

Haematic

:dankbrien:

• Guild Leader
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts
  • GW2 User ID:Haematic.4913
  • Haematic
  • Race:Human
  • Class:Warrior

Be water my friend -- http://www.idcooling...ROSTFLOW 240L-W

One thing to keep in mind, which is often overlooked, is the finish on the copper plate.

I've noticed that through various heat-sinks, if they mill the copper w/ a rough cut only, and don't finish the cut ... you lose out on thermal conductivity.

The more "rough" the cut, the less thermal conductivity, thus less heat-transfer. The AIO cooler I linked has a "finished" surface, has a great pump, and decent aluminum radiator.

Otherwise, I would go with the Corsair item if you feel iffy about the idcooling option, their heat-sink looks to be finished correctly; I just couldn't get the specs on their pump / flow.

Haematic - International Terrorist, Inclina Deus - Ranger

The following future subject(s) of Borlis Pass, Delune, Haematic, and Ms. Spring Sunshine, henceforth decreed to be INTERNATIONAL TERRORISTS and OUTLAWS by command of the all-seeing and glorious Borlis Authorities, have been judged guilty in absentia of committing the crime of Injustica, and are hereby condemned by law to suffer 10,000 years of unrelenting capital punishment, to be carried out by licensed agents of this Law on sight.

i7-3770k OC @ 4.5ghz (1.29v), GTX 980 FTW ACX2.0, (4x)4gb HyperX RAM, EVO850 SSD x2 x500gb, ASRock Z77 Extreme 4, -- 70c @ load (CPU), Air cooling with NH-D14, 35c ambient.

Legends Never [DIE]

Twitch - Haematic: FA Streamer
YouTube - Haematic: WvW / Roaming / PvP Videos

RIP Beaches Get [WET], Vincere Est Totum [VeT][TiN]

[–]QuickRain 1 point

1 month ago

Respected Commanders: Hae from DIE

Faulty Krew

Faulty Krew

Tech Support

• FA Member
  • 747 posts
  • GW2 User ID:guppysb.8524
  • Kon Charr Castrator
  • Guild:[PVP]
  • Race:Asura
  • Class:Necromancer
Ekb>closed loop
Posted ImagePosted Image

Haematic

Haematic

:dankbrien:

• Guild Leader
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts
  • GW2 User ID:Haematic.4913
  • Haematic
  • Race:Human
  • Class:Warrior

Ekb>closed loop

Ekb is nice

If you're intentions are an upgrade in the future, I would get it @ that point.

The technology behind liquid coolers right now is stale and nothing extremely ground-breaking.

Ekb is what I want to say a few steps ahead, and you pay for it.

Just like the NOCTUA fans / heatsinks > Corsair fans/heat sinks to put that into perspective.

Haematic - International Terrorist, Inclina Deus - Ranger

The following future subject(s) of Borlis Pass, Delune, Haematic, and Ms. Spring Sunshine, henceforth decreed to be INTERNATIONAL TERRORISTS and OUTLAWS by command of the all-seeing and glorious Borlis Authorities, have been judged guilty in absentia of committing the crime of Injustica, and are hereby condemned by law to suffer 10,000 years of unrelenting capital punishment, to be carried out by licensed agents of this Law on sight.

i7-3770k OC @ 4.5ghz (1.29v), GTX 980 FTW ACX2.0, (4x)4gb HyperX RAM, EVO850 SSD x2 x500gb, ASRock Z77 Extreme 4, -- 70c @ load (CPU), Air cooling with NH-D14, 35c ambient.

Legends Never [DIE]

Twitch - Haematic: FA Streamer
YouTube - Haematic: WvW / Roaming / PvP Videos

RIP Beaches Get [WET], Vincere Est Totum [VeT][TiN]

[–]QuickRain 1 point

1 month ago

Respected Commanders: Hae from DIE

Gregor Payne

Gregor Payne

Philosopher King

• FA Member
  • 428 posts
  • GW2 User ID:ric.9436
  • Gregor Payne
  • Guild:[VAC]
  • Race:Norn
  • Class:Guardian

I mean, if you want to go for broke. Just get a phase change cooler and keep your CPU at subzero temps.

http://www.ldcooling...ase-change.html

tdDgg.gif