Kovu
  • FA Member
  • 375 posts
  • GW2 User ID:Kovu.7560
  • Nailanya Crackshot
  • Guild:[TLC]
  • Race:Charr
  • Class:Ranger

edit 4/30/2016 - Yeah, so I wasn't expecting this to turn into a full-on tutorial thread. (A mod) Feel free to delete this post & modify/clean up the thread to accomidate for Anvil's various tutorials.

-----

I'm looking into snagging some video recording software so that I can use to record rallys and funny things that happen while solo roaming/scouting. It's been requested in the past that I provide ranger POV for engagements for perspective and to help improve my own game. To clarify, I'm not looking to stream.

Last night for example, JOY took SET just as I managed to arrive at the north gate. I only just got inside and hid in that crevice clearly visible from the SET harvest nodes, as I didn't have time to go up and around. They all harvested clearly within vision of me, then left. A good 20 of them. I capped the tower back 5 minutes later.

There was one time I his inside inner bay just inside the south inner gate. The whole DB zerg ran past, but none of them spotted me in plain sight and I later capped the keep. As well, the time I took air keep from behind JOY less than an hour into reset as their map que was poking our blob on the other side of the map. The time I backcapped spawn SET on an enemy map while UNIV had their blob distracted at our spawn. The time I ran around in fire keep with the CERN blob chasing me around for a good 10 minutes. CREW taking down TC blobs of 40~50 with 15 (or TF blobs of 20+. I swear this stuff is gold, I'd like to capture some of it.

So the question. Which recording software would you guys recommend? I run windows 7, if I need to provide any further information I can.

I'm not much of a computer expert, so something simple to understand would be nice.

~ Kovu

Edited by Kovu, 30 April 2016 - 06:57 PM.

Hottest ranger, PST.
PendantsBanner.jpg

Morg

Morg

Heretic

• Guild Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts
  • Discord ID:Morg#0412
  • GW2 User ID:Shinsetsuu.2849
  • Invoker Morrighan
  • Guild:[DIE]
  • Race:Sylvari
  • Class:Revenant

If you have nvidia, shadowplay is very easy to use. You can even save footage that's happened in the past x minutes (specifiable iirc). AMD has something very similar in their Raptr software suite.

If that's not your thing, Open Broadcaster Software. You can set it up to record locally (and have it not broadcast anything), with high bitrate. It has a large ecosystem of plug-ins if that's your thing, but from a basic point of view you can very easily just map a start/stop hotkey and specify a folder and file format + name.

• Delune and Kovu like this
Posted Image

Nocturnal Lunacy

Nocturnal Lunacy
  • FA Member
  • 288 posts
  • GW2 User ID:fuck off.8563
  • fuck off
  • Guild:fuck
  • Race:Human
  • Class:Necromancer

I f you use torrents you can get bandicam. there are cracked versions but make sure you only get one thats verified. thats what i use. plus bandicam if you want to buy isnt that expensive at all. and it doesnt bog down your pc like fraps does or other recorders. but you will see a drop in fps but not much.

Also obs is free, and it has recording capabilities.

• Kovu likes this

Anvil Pants

Anvil Pants
  • Not on FA
  • 158 posts
  • GW2 User ID:Anvil Pants.3426
  • Senpai Anvil Pansu
  • Race:Asura
  • Class:Elementalist

Streaming or not, you should probably be using Open Broadcaster Studio with it's recorder settings configured to use your GPU for the video encoding. Nearly anything else, in most other configurations, (aside from professional setups) is going to impact your game client performance much more, while recording an inferior video. Torrenting a cracked copy of w/e is simply unnecessary. I own a FRAPS license, and use this instead.

Open Broadcaster Studio, a/k/a, "OBS Studio", for which they explain the difference on the right-hand side of their website's main page.

U4QaZsj.png

A few of the video and audio settings he explains in that tutorial have since been moved to the "Output" settings in my screenshot. You're concerned with the "recording" and "audio" tabs there.

https://support.goog.../answer/1722171

That's the YouTube support page he references in the video.

I use a Naga, so the bottom (highest numbered) buttons on the left side are the least convenient to press. So, those are the ones I hotkey in OBS. Four total: Start Recording, Stop Recording, Switch Scene (hide GW2 chat), Switch Scene (show GW2 chat). My overlay image is a transparent background PNG image that a threw together in Photoshop using GW2 HD Asset Kit images and an old dank meme.

https://i.imgur.com/PKgmmSD.png

https://i.imgur.com/edFglge.png

Photoshop file for anyone able and inclined: https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

You add a "Scene" then add GW2 as a "Source" on that scene, with "Game Capture" type.

6dIi5Jw.jpg

The Scenes and Sources lists are drag-and-drop; can be reordered.

My game screen is 1080p, so I went easy mode with the overlay image, and made that 1920x1080 as well. I did the "show chat" version of it by taking an in-game screenshot and matching the open area to that.

You add an image overlay by adding that image as an "Image" type of "Source".

z6D7aXv.jpg

Assuming you use push-to-talk for voice coms, want to record your own voice, and want to reduce or eliminate the need to edit videos before upload, check "enable push-to-talk" on Mic/Aux:

apxYmLo.png

Then bind the same key you use for TeamSpeak push-to-talk, so that both programs will react to that key:

UENZvyc.png

Hotkeys are set there by clicking into the text box, then pressing whatever key(s) you want to bind to that.

Before I'm going to record, I check that OBS is working and receiving hotkey presses. Then I minimize it and keep an explorer window open on monitor two, in the video folder, and sorted by file created date. That's how I know when I am or am not recording. I handle the start/stop and scene swap by mouse hotkey while playing.

• Nox, Tangnu, Delune and 2 others like this

Cunticulum Vagae

10/2015 to Present - FA - Legendary PvF Keep Lord and BOMB-funded mercenary.

7/2015 to 10/2015 - Mag - Bae is gae pass it on.

12/2014 to 7/2015 - FA - Shoutbox hero, and Bunzy's reason to wake up every day.

11/2014 - YB - Volunteer companion and errand runner at the Veteran's Affairs retirement community. Savior of the PvF Forum.

10/2014 to 11/2014 - JQ - LOL TIER 1 GVG GUISE

07/2014 to 09/2014 - SoS - Freelance saltminer of internal forum drama.

07/2013 to 06/2014 - DB - Destroyer of Anvil Rock, and Official Asshole of Dragonbrand.

10/2012 to 06/2013 - AR - Democratically Elected Grand and Progressive Arch Battlepope of The Anvil Rock Defender's Alliance. Abuser of character model culling, veil, portal, confusion, and Lyssa rune, as frontline Mesmer zergdog trash map-queueing pugmander.

10/2012 to End of Time - #1 pug NA

Anvil Pants

Anvil Pants
  • Not on FA
  • 158 posts
  • Senpai Anvil Pansu

If you are looking to do video edits for VOD publishing (YouTube), you do have free/open-source options.

SIMPLE

The simplest Movie Maker type of edits can (if you don't use Movie Maker) be done with avidemux. That's "de mucks"; it isn't French. ;)

If you're following the OBS settings above, these are your AVIDeMux settings, and there is no need to change what is in the "configure" button menus:

1DMuxp0.png

That will straight-out copy the audio and video data from the source file, along with the edits you make, without doing any re-encode work. Even if you add an audio track. If you do add an audio track, encode it this way by clicking "configure":

zJxqGNa.png

You add an audio track by clicking "Audio" in menu bar, "Select Track", then doing this:

8we31oU.png

Disabling "Track 1" mutes the video source audio. Adding an audio file to "Track 2" copies that file in verbatim, beginning the audio file at the start of the video. "Configure" on each track does the same thing as "Audio Output" on the main editor window.

AVIDeMux can be slightly fiddly for controlling the UI. Especially when you need to set a cut marker at a specific timecode.

This GUI element acts like a reverse/advance dial that you can drag or click:

kUDh72s.png

It steps forward or backward in 2 second increments.

Clicking "Time" lets you go to a specific timestamp (frame) in the video:

WQWVZab.png

Left and right arrow keys on the keyboard also reverse and advance the video, in increments of 0.033 seconds.

Cutting sections of video uses the A and B markers. A marker is the start of a cut, and B is the end. When you're wanting to cut from 0 seconds to anywhere deeper into the video, you only need marker B. If you're wanting to chop off the end of a video, you only need marker A. It works like this:

6yfdVJp.png

There, I have set "Marker B" and if I click "Delete" it will cut out the entire blue bordered section on the timeline.

This is almost correct, but is an example of what not to do. The reason is that I have set Marker B at a fraction of a second. If I cut and then save, I will get this error:

faEk6lD.png

No. Don't want that.

This is what we want:

hWbPLdY.png

That's why the dial and timeline UI move in 2 second increments. The OBS source file is configured to set "key frames" in 2 second intervals.

Click save, set a file name, and upload:

ADVANCED

For video composition any more complex than that, I use Blender with the UI reconfigured for its Video Sequence Editor options. The learning curve there is entirely in adjusting to how the UI will behave when you click and drag things. It is contextually responsive to left, middle, and right mouse—including drag-and-drop with those buttons—with some keyboard keys coming into play.

I recommend this tutorial series: https://www.youtube....IvnAVQ3x18sNev4

This is how I set mine up. This is Timeline (at the top), Video Sequence Editor (middle/bottom), and Properties (right):

VVKcHLf.jpg

The selected "Strip" is a transparent background PNG made in Photoshop:

HWptOEd.png

Preview renders on-the-fly, and the effects you add will drop your preview frame rate. Hence, this section of the tutorial.

• Nox, Faulty Krew and Kovu like this

Cunticulum Vagae

12/2014 to 7/2015 - FA - Shoutbox hero, and Bunzy's reason to wake up every day.

11/2014 - YB - Volunteer companion and errand runner at the Veteran's Affairs retirement community. Savior of the PvF Forum.

07/2013 to 06/2014 - DB - Destroyer of Anvil Rock, and Official Asshole of Dragonbrand.

10/2012 to 06/2013 - AR - Democratically Elected Grand and Progressive Arch Battlepope of The Anvil Rock Defender's Alliance. Abuser of character model culling, veil, portal, confusion, and Lyssa rune, as frontline Mesmer zergdog trash map-queueing pugmander.

Anvil Pants

Anvil Pants
  • Not on FA
  • 158 posts
  • Senpai Anvil Pansu

Here's a bit about how the video sequencing works.

This is a zoomed out view of the sequencer:

azZ3cig.png

Notice on the bottom-right pane (which is Properties), the encoding settings match the OBS source. Audio bitrate is higher than the video source because here I'm encoding for the soundtrack that is added, not in-game audio or voice coms.

Vertical dotted lines are markers I set while cutting. I use them either to mark a cut point before I'm ready to cut, or at times in the sound track that I'm targeting for scene events or transitions.

On the sequencer, the top three channels are the soundtrack. The playlist is from Machinima Sound and Free Music Archive. I used whole songs this time, but regardless, I always take the tracks into Audacity, where I check and fix the fade in and fade out, trim excessive silence, and re-encode. The tracks came in MP3 (usually 320kbps), and I transcoded that to 192kbps AAC+M4A, to match the Blender encode. You will get a "pop" artifacting noise in the final render if you try to mix differing audio encodings inside the Blender sequencer.

The movie ends at the marker, "F_51150". Everything to the right of that is source video I didn't use. As I start cutting, I use the right-hand side of the sequencer for that; stepping through source video (arrow keys, or click and drag) to figure what comes in next. The cutting room floor moves further to the right as the movie comes together. Sometimes I'll leave strips on the left side but overwrite them with channels until I'm happy with the result. Then the overwritten strips get cut up and moved out during the final review, when I'm doing scene transitions.

I used cross fade transitions exclusively. I almost went with Star Wars style wipes for the roleplay, but decided that cross fade was working better, because my gameplay camera is already spastic enough as-is.

Here's a dense area of the sequencer zoomed in:

idPdPP6.png

The cuts on the edges are where the cross fade happens. Each fade is 15 frames long; 0.5 seconds.

ft9jZBy.png

This fade is ticked "Backwards" because technically it is a fade-out, and this one is a fade-in:

qRKCaDk.png

Image fades are key frame animations. You select the target strip, drop the play head (green line) at the frame to start at, set opacity, right-click that opacity, and insert key frame.

rjuYdHH.png

gzLDoxQ.png

Then you move the play head again, set the opacity, and make another key frame.

zaySXf4.png

eQJXsi1.png

That image has three key frames. Beginning, middle, and end. The channels below it are doing more or less the same thing, but with a black screen and using a gamma cross effect strip. They don't need key framing because the animation is handled by the effect strip.

Image fades must be done with opacity animation, not effect strips.

• Nox, Faulty Krew and Kovu like this

Cunticulum Vagae

Anvil Pants

Anvil Pants
  • Not on FA
  • 158 posts
  • Senpai Anvil Pansu

Things I've learned since last post.

In Blender, User Preferences, System tab, change the audio device to SDL, and the sample rate to 44.1 kHz. SDL is recommended for video sequencing (tooltip will say this), and 44.1kHz matches my OBS settings, and most music source files we would use. If your audio sources are all higher sample rate than that, then either you know that fact or you won't care.

wXkRFGS.png

Change compute device to CUDA, your graphics card, and GLSL Compute, so that your GPU will be used optimally wherever Blender can do that. It will mostly be helpful when/if you integrate 3D objects and animations in your videos. That might apply to the fading effects I covered above. It may include future changes in how Blender renders video, as new versions release. That follows the same logic as the fact that OBS can do its encoding on the GPU.

ERWBRzo.png

Similarly, change images draw method to GLSL and set memory cache limit to a higher value. I chose 4096 as my cache limit because while I have 16GB of system RAM, I tend to rest at about 8GB used/held by multitask. 4096 is the byte-even value for telling Blender to use up to 4GB of RAM.

W418xxL.png

"Info" pane is the one that has the "File", "Window" and "Help" menus, and it also contains a debug console and the view presets that my recommended tutorial shows you. I set up my own UI by starting with "Video Editing" preset and then removing the graph editor. You do that by dragging the pane next to it on top of it.

G9i5yct.png

The grab-point for this drag is the top-right corner of the pane.

5Mw2Dvb.png

After these changes, save them as the default settings for future new files.

SRNTQRk.png

Cunticulum Vagae

Morg

Morg

Heretic

• Guild Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts
  • Invoker Morrighan

Or just use windows movie maker and slap on some sweet WordArt

• Anvil Pants likes this
Posted Image

Faulty Krew

Faulty Krew

Tech Support

• FA Member
  • 747 posts
  • GW2 User ID:guppysb.8524
  • Kon Charr Castrator
  • Guild:[PVP]

Or just use windows movie maker and slap on some sweet WordArt

I will beat you with a toaster.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Morg

Morg

Heretic

• Guild Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts
  • Invoker Morrighan

I will beat you with a toaster.

My apartment mate yelled at my other apartment mate to clean his shit in the kitchen so in response he took away the toaster. Any toaster is welcome
  • Delune and Kovu like this
Posted Image

Anvil Pants

Anvil Pants
  • Not on FA
  • 158 posts
  • Senpai Anvil Pansu

Movie Maker is actually an option. It has some easy-mode features that AVIDeMux doesn't have or complicates. Think of Movie Maker as being in the same category as AVIDeMux, with Maker having better QoL while DeMux has better file format coverage for YouTube. It is also true that DeMux is faster on simple edits, and is faster than Maker and Blender at cutting and saving a video clip. Maker's UI is faster for doing an intermediate video that does some of what Blender would do, which DeMux can't touch at all.

Speaking of speed. Erza was surprised that I got a with-coms cut of eight GvG rounds posted and playlisted quickly. This is how.

As above, I cut a lot of my video live, using Razer Naga hotkeys to start/stop recording. I have Explorer open on monitor 2. When I know a clip is going to publish, I rate it:

EpWxlLp.png

I use 3 stars for "remember this" and 5 stars for "omfg use this". 

I'm not always recording. I tend to start when I think an engagement is about to happen, but I'll leave a long record going when I am unsure or just don't want my machine to choke up on starting the new file and updating the Explorer window. I've found some recording frame loss in the start of videos, when I wait too long to start recording, and the first 5 seconds of record includes lot of enemies or rendered skill graphics. That's a CPU issue on my end.

I also sometimes cut videos while nothing is happening in-game; generally at raid end. For cuts like this I use AVIDeMux's A and B markers to break up a long-running video:

iRHo4ZS.png

Half of those came from two files that ran 20 minutes each.

Start with advancing into the timeline until you hit the start of a clip, then set marker B and delete. Then advance until the end of the clip, set marker A and delete. Then save that file. Then "Undo" to get the second delete back into the timeline. Then set marker B this time and delete. That deletes what you already saved. Then advance to the start of your next clip and repeat. E Z.

When the cutting is done, and you have files like I do above, you get YouTube ready in a browser. Get a tab like this for the YouTube Upload page:

uv4mAqI.png

Drag-drop your first file onto that, and while it is uploading you middle-click "Upload" on that page to get another upload page in a new tab. Then you do the same shit for file two. Repeat for three, etc., until all of your files are uploading simultaneously. Then go back through the tabs, set the playlist to attach those videos to, and click "Done" on the pages. E Z.

• Delune, Morg, BlaiseMcBaine and 1 other like this

Cunticulum Vagae

Anvil Pants

Anvil Pants
  • Not on FA
  • 158 posts
  • Senpai Anvil Pansu

8q9uYO2.jpg

Picture-in-picture, with two mismatched video sources.

Mine is 1080p 30FPS. Erza's is 720p 29FPS pulled from his YouTube channel.

I'm keeping my audio, and deleting his. Could just as easily go the other way.

First I correct the FPS mismatch:

uzLy7Tb.png

The quality of the PIP video isn't going to matter much. It's going to be scaled down again in Blender, and YouTube already mangled it in their 720p transcode. All I've done here is force a framerate, and matched the bitrate to my own to preserve whatever image data is there.

Forcing that bitrate is upsampling, from 29 to 30, so what's actually happening is for every 30 frames one frame gets duplicated. This matters when you're syncing the two. They'll never be exactly synced frame-to-frame. The timeline will be in sync, but you would find the duplicate frames if you looked.

nTeYVH3.jpg

The PIP strip is an "Over Drop" blend, so that Blender layers the two channels while also showing both.

ZkW0A4I.png

"Image Offset" on the PIP strip will stop Blender trying to stretch the PIP channel to fit the 1080p output resolution.

I've split the preview pane to show how the sync is done: using the WvW tick timer. If we were outside of WvW, I would need some other frame of reference. That could be the audio or an animation in-game.

Move the two videos around on the sequencer until they nearly match. Then manipulate the "Start Frame" of the PIP strip.

6CFic7Z.jpg

The WvW timer works well because we can target the frame in which the timer ticks down.

Advance the timeline forward/backward using arrow keys after setting the playhead roughly where it needs to be.

VmuSWFT.jpg

Now add a Transform Effect Strip, with the PIP strip selected:

YgWpOhl.png

Set the Transform's blend to "Over Drop".

IFoHPNs.png

Set it to "Uniform Scale", find the correct scale factor by changing it.

Find the correct "Image Offset" by changing that to position the PIP where it needs to be.

irat6Uu.png

eamQ6MG.png

Done; repeat that for each clip.

Cunticulum Vagae

Anvil Pants

Anvil Pants
  • Not on FA
  • 158 posts
  • Senpai Anvil Pansu

Public service announcement about "recommended" software that I don't recommend.

Video Pad is an excellent example of a "free and easy" tool that "just works" and will have you thinking that "it does what I want it to", while its publisher is quietly inching in deeper. Suddenly, donkey punch.

Ignore it. I can confirm the claims of this article, from having used the software in the past. I found what the article found, and followed the trail back to that software publisher. Their software always leapfrogs one installation over another, constantly taking foothold opportunities to try to sell each of their over-priced tools. 

Perhaps you’ll launch an MP3, only to find it is playing in a completely different app: an NCH Software one, of course, and perhaps even one you weren’t aware of installing. File extension hijacking is pretty low, don’t you think?

Alternatively, you might notice the hijack of your context menus. Every time you right-click, something will happen, but the menu will take a while as the NCH Software entries are added.

Sadly, NCH has a pretty poor support system, with bug reports usually going unacknowledged.

This isn’t to say that bugs aren’t resolved – they are. However, to benefit from updates to the NCH Software that you have purchased over three months previously, you’ll need to pay for it again.

In this case, the publisher isn't exactly hiding what they're doing but is generally dishonest and annoying; takes advantage of impatience and gullibility.

Cunticulum Vagae

Faulty Krew

Faulty Krew

Tech Support

• FA Member
  • 747 posts
  • GW2 User ID:guppysb.8524
  • Kon Charr Castrator
  • Guild:[PVP]

Can we sticky this with an appropriate Title?

Posted ImagePosted Image

Delune

Delune

Savior of FA

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,198 posts
  • Discord ID:Delune#6354
  • GW2 User ID:Delune.4817
  • Delune
  • Guild:[TK]
  • Race:Human
  • Class:Guardian

Can we sticky this with an appropriate Title?

Your wish is my command. :)
  • Faulty Krew likes this

Commander.png Commander The One Delune
"FA stomping Bandwagons since 2012..."
"FA is Love, FA is Life"
"Do whatever makes you happy in life"
"Militia will always be militia. Those who wish to get good will take the necessary steps like getting in TS or joining a WvW guild."

"One Love FA <3" -[APS] Silo Menel

"Oh no we didn't offer you money to transfer. What are you, DPS?" -Chaba to [WS]

"fucking delune just out there chasing vaginas when he should be commanding.  =/ What a hetro." -Faulty Krew
TK: "Delune inc from gar!" Me: "I'm arrow carting...." *We all die*
#ModInjustica
Former Server leader 2012-2015
https://www.youtube....user/Delune1956