• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts
  • Discord ID:Morg#0412
  • GW2 User ID:Shinsetsuu.2849
  • Invoker Morrighan
  • Guild:[DIE]
  • Race:Sylvari
  • Class:Revenant

I'm currently running an i5-4690K with a Hyper 212 EVO and whatever thermal paste CM included with it, alongside a Sapphire Tri-X R9 290. Rest of the build is here.

Point is, I've run this rig for a month now and my cpu's temps are solidly 38-40C in idle, no OC on anything. It feels a bit high, and the ambient temp is around 24-25C in the room. I'm wondering if swapping my 212 EVO for http://www.amazon.co...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER and also buying better thermal paste would be a good investment, especially if I do want to OC soon.

Posted Image

Faulty Krew

Faulty Krew

Tech Support

• FA Member
  • 747 posts
  • GW2 User ID:guppysb.8524
  • Kon Charr Castrator
  • Guild:[PVP]
  • Race:Asura
  • Class:Necromancer
Just get any 50$ water cooler.
Posted ImagePosted Image

HiTandMayhem

HiTandMayhem

Kung Fu Bunneh

• Guild Leader
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts
  • Discord ID:http://replycandy.com/wp-content/uploads/Godzilla-Nope-Response-Meme.jpg
  • GW2 User ID:HiTandMayhem.1378
  • Guild:[UNIV]
  • Class:Guardian

Just get any 50$ water cooler.

much cheaper to get a spray bottle, f(i)ll it with ice water and spritz your computer fan intake. :)

I halp. :D

Edited by HiTandMayhem, 12 June 2015 - 12:33 PM.

• Kagusaki likes this

Dynamics Thesis Defense Unit [UNIV] - Mperious Leader ~cum gaudium et nex~
Die Schleichermaus [DSM]- Officer, founding member ~cum amicitiam et distractio~
The Legion of Charrs [TLC] - Micro Centurion ~cum dentes et caudae~
Reichii's Reapers [NODE] (RiP)- Former Wood Pecker ~Quandoque bonus colligimus Chaba~
Fuq Pee Pee Tee [FPPT] - PPT Fuqr ~cum malleus et sale~

alLdv4m.jpg

Haematic

Haematic

:dankbrien:

• Guild Leader
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts
  • GW2 User ID:Haematic.4913
  • Haematic
  • Race:Human
  • Class:Warrior

YOUR TEMPS ARE FINE

Haematic - International Terrorist, Inclina Deus - Ranger

The following future subject(s) of Borlis Pass, Delune, Haematic, and Ms. Spring Sunshine, henceforth decreed to be INTERNATIONAL TERRORISTS and OUTLAWS by command of the all-seeing and glorious Borlis Authorities, have been judged guilty in absentia of committing the crime of Injustica, and are hereby condemned by law to suffer 10,000 years of unrelenting capital punishment, to be carried out by licensed agents of this Law on sight.

i7-3770k OC @ 4.5ghz (1.29v), GTX 980 FTW ACX2.0, (4x)4gb HyperX RAM, EVO850 SSD x2 x500gb, ASRock Z77 Extreme 4, -- 70c @ load (CPU), Air cooling with NH-D14, 35c ambient.

Legends Never [DIE]

Twitch - Haematic: FA Streamer
YouTube - Haematic: WvW / Roaming / PvP Videos

RIP Beaches Get [WET], Vincere Est Totum [VeT][TiN]

[–]QuickRain 1 point

1 month ago

Respected Commanders: Hae from DIE

Haematic

Haematic

• Guild Leader
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts
  • Haematic

If you're not over-clocking it's not really worth the investment; for there's no need for you to min/max a stock setting (imo).

Your temps are good, and I would only be concerned if you're going over 80c @ load -- these intels have a max rating of like 109c, and are designed to operate @ 90c 24/7.

Spending $50-$100+ to save 3-5c isn't really worth it, and you won't ever notice it while gaming. Nor will you see your CPU lasting any longer.

Just replace your thermal compound every 2-3yrs, clean up your surfaces, and keep the dust out of your fans & case (but by the looks of your case it appears to be seamless, for the most part).

• Valor Zhinsin likes this

The following future subject(s) of Borlis Pass, Delune, Haematic, and Ms. Spring Sunshine, henceforth decreed to be INTERNATIONAL TERRORISTS and OUTLAWS by command of the all-seeing and glorious Borlis Authorities, have been judged guilty in absentia of committing the crime of Injustica, and are hereby condemned by law to suffer 10,000 years of unrelenting capital punishment, to be carried out by licensed agents of this Law on sight.

i7-3770k OC @ 4.5ghz (1.29v), GTX 980 FTW ACX2.0, (4x)4gb HyperX RAM, EVO850 SSD x2 x500gb, ASRock Z77 Extreme 4, -- 70c @ load (CPU), Air cooling with NH-D14, 35c ambient.

Legends Never [DIE]

[–]QuickRain 1 point

1 month ago

Mercenary Higgins

Mercenary Higgins

PM And I'll find a Solution

• Guild Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts
  • GW2 User ID:Mercenary Higgins.1807
  • Mercenary Higgins
  • Guild:[coVn]
  • Class:Elementalist
Other than what I messaged you, make sure your push pull air flow through the case is decent. That gfx card spinning the hot air into the case is being ducked in to cool your cpu. One reason why I said go EVGA for their directed airflow cooling
Mercenary Higgins-D/F Elementalist : Zoel The Monkinator - Warrior : Mercenary Hîggins - Necro : Knotsea Mod - Guardian

Morg

Morg

Heretic

• Guild Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts
  • Invoker Morrighan

If you're not over-clocking

Soon, just been super busy with work + summer class + being tired from that. I've barely been getting into game over the past 3 weeks :/

Posted Image

Morg

Morg

Heretic

• Guild Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts
  • Invoker Morrighan

Other than what I messaged you, make sure your push pull air flow through the case is decent. That gfx card spinning the hot air into the case is being ducked in to cool your cpu. One reason why I said go EVGA for their directed airflow cooling

Yeah I'd do a couple of things over again if I could do it again... but oh well, buyer's regret will always happen. I've got 3 120mm's feeding in, and 1 140mm pushing out. Not sure what I want to do with the 3 top fan slots

Posted Image

Haematic

Haematic

• Guild Leader
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts
  • Haematic

too many fans = too much

You really only need like 1-fan coming in from the bottom of your case (cold air), and 2-3 exhaust fans that blow the hot air up & out.

I use 2-cold air intakes, and 2-exhaust fans; I also got a heat shield for the back of my GPU so the heat doesn't just spread about my CPU heat-sink.

http://imgur.com/3juEo3L

3juEo3L.jpg

I have (1) blue fan .. bottom right of my case from picture view, and (1) black fan directly located on the bottom of my case; both draw in the cold air.

The upper left blue fan, and the upper center fan exhaust the heat from my GPU, CPU, and RAM.

So it's constantly circulating.

If you look @ my foot notes, my ambient is 35c (not too bad for a 27% overclock and air cooling) -- that's my old GPU in there, I have a 980 now w/ that heat shield.

• Mercenary Higgins, Perseus and Faulty Krew like this

Legends Never [DIE]

[–]QuickRain 1 point

1 month ago

Morg

Morg

Heretic

• Guild Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts
  • Invoker Morrighan

too many fans = too much

You really only need like 1-fan coming in from the bottom of your case (cold air), and 2-3 exhaust fans that blow the hot air up & out.

Kay, confession time. My case has a really funky set-up by those standards, out of the box my case has 3 fan slots in front (and 3 fans come stock with the case here), 3 slots on top, and 1 slot in the rear (comes with the 140mm). I haven't actually changed the fan config at all. And very sadly, there is no bottom intake! The front's intake is stunted by the fact that the vents are side-intake and very close in proximity to the fans themselves, meaning it's not getting the full deal. I get the feeling they really want you to go with a radiator setup via the top/front. I'll poke around and see what other people do with their case setups for the H440, but I usually read that positive pressure = good, any ideas on that?

All in all though, if you say 40C is fine then I'll take it. Nothing's on fire, so I've met my goal.

Posted Image

Faulty Krew

Faulty Krew

Tech Support

• FA Member
  • 747 posts
  • Kon Charr Castrator

Also remember that AMD cards dish out substantial amount of heat. So yea that is there.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Morg

Morg

Heretic

• Guild Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts
  • Invoker Morrighan

Also remember that AMD cards dish out substantial amount of heat. So yea that is there.

Just bc I finally got on, running gw2 and core temps 50-53-54-50C on my i5 and 61C on my 290.

/shrug

Posted Image

Faulty Krew

Faulty Krew

Tech Support

• FA Member
  • 747 posts
  • Kon Charr Castrator
Dunno my 290x ran at 76-82 degrees on gw2. Are you alt tabbing to check temps?
Posted ImagePosted Image

Haematic

Haematic

• Guild Leader
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts
  • Haematic

Dunno my 290x ran at 76-82 degrees on gw2. Are you alt tabbing to check temps?

if he is, he can always change the interval at which the real-temp takes the reading; to delay it enough.

oh yeah use real temp

Also, your case; I don't know man, if they wanted users to enclose it and used a closed loop system to cool their rig, why would they include (6) fans? lol

I'm gunna look @ ur post w/ case uploaded and take a peak.

Legends Never [DIE]

[–]QuickRain 1 point

1 month ago

Valor Zhinsin

Valor Zhinsin
  • Guild Officer
  • 335 posts
  • GW2 User ID:Valor Zhinsin.3610
  • Victor Zhinsin
  • Guild:[PRO]
  • Race:Norn
  • Class:Guardian

I suggest dress and tie wrap together all your cables and wires including wires outside the box.    It helps with air flow, make the rig resistant to vibration and easier to clean.                                                                                

Vic Zhinsin                                                                                                                         

• Faulty Krew likes this

Haematic

Haematic

• Guild Leader
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts
  • Haematic

Yeah so the front of your case sucks dick and can't get a good cold-air intake from the bottom of your case; it's definitely aimed @ a combo closed-loop & air cooling.

Gregor posted a pic of his rig w/ watercooling where you would have your fans; I would suggest doing that if you want to run cooler for an over-clock.

But again, you're temps are perfectly fine.

If anything I would be worried about your GPU not breathing enough, and your solid-states getting hot.

Take a fan and exhaust it from the top of your case, it looks like you can install 1-2 up there; you only need like, 1 in the front.

• Morg likes this

Legends Never [DIE]

[–]QuickRain 1 point

1 month ago

Morg

Morg

Heretic

• Guild Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts
  • Invoker Morrighan

I suggest dress and tie wrap together all your cables and wires including wires outside the box.    It helps with air flow, make the rig resistant to vibration and easier to clean.                                                                                

Vic Zhinsin                                                                                                                         

My cables/wires are actually all underneath a shroud or ziptied on the other side behind the mobo/tray, I've only got the VGA cables and the cpu cooler power cable visible.

Take a fan and exhaust it from the top of your case, it looks like you can install 1-2 up there; you only need like, 1 in the front.

Yeah, I'll crack open the front (that shit needs some force to pop off) and get in at the fans this weekend. My SSD is around 36C, I actually need to find some screws for the damn thing because the prepackaged ones didn't fit (???). The fan can go either behind the cooler, basically adjacent to the rear exhaust fan, or right before the cooler's fan. I'm assuming I want to place it behind the cooler, since it'd be taking air out before the cooler otherwise.

Also, my GPU is being fed plenty of fresh air if we're using this as a principle: https://i.imgur.com/2muWelX.jpg although dissipating it is probably another story, since it's not directed

Posted Image

Haematic

Haematic

• Guild Leader
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts
  • Haematic

They should make Dyson computer fans...

• Mercenary Higgins and Appzles like this

Legends Never [DIE]

[–]QuickRain 1 point

1 month ago

Nocturnal Lunacy

Nocturnal Lunacy
  • FA Member
  • 288 posts
  • GW2 User ID:fuck off.8563
  • fuck off
  • Guild:fuck

I just went the super cheap way and took the side off the tower and put a regular household box fan on it. Settings at 1 tho. Works wonders.

• Valor Zhinsin likes this

Morg

Morg

Heretic

• Guild Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts
  • Invoker Morrighan

I just went the super cheap way and took the side off the tower and put a regular household box fan on it. Settings at 1 tho. Works wonders.

Yeah my buddy got an Asus-cooled R9 (he doesn't seem to know which though) and he has a ton of problems. Whenever he runs FFXIV he'll go upwards of 80C on the card, and it eventually crashes his system. It occasionally happens when playing League of Legends too (?). His current solution is the same, take off a panel and aim a fan at it.

OK, so today I got to screw around with my rig and I actually was pretty productive!

• Looked at the fan fittings the other day and decided getting a 140mm for the top was better than the 120mm, since it'll directly whisk air out of the heatsink. Installed that. Startup temp is 32C, and average idle temp is 36/37C, and today is a bit hotter than the past week, AC is off and ambient temp is 27C. Goal accomplished.

And some fluffy stuff:

• Removed that damn drive sled, had to use a flathead to help get the stuck screw out. Better airflow now, I suppose.
  • Ziptied/velcroed some loose cables down, looks a bit cleaner.
  • Moved the IR receiver up in the case and I can change LED colors with the remote from sitting distance now (as opposed to shoving the remote next to the window)
  • Screwed down my SSD. Yep. idk either.

Final things on my list include doing a full system wipe when Win10 launches, probably will OC at that point. Maybe additional 8GB of RAM if my paychecks are larger than expected, but driving costs are definitely delaying this one.

Posted Image