• 2,097 posts
  • Discord ID:Morg#0412
  • GW2 User ID:Shinsetsuu.2849
  • Invoker Morrighan
  • Guild:[DIE]
  • Race:Sylvari
  • Class:Revenant

too high

Yeah, figured. It says that vcore is still 0.95V, what's up with that?

• RidgeNaby and BrantShic like this
Posted Image

Haematic

Haematic

:dankbrien:

• Guild Leader
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts
  • GW2 User ID:Haematic.4913
  • Haematic
  • Race:Human
  • Class:Warrior

uhm..

it might be reading your core incorrectly..

try dling this tool -- http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

see if it says differently -- it looks like your board might not actually be adjusting core voltages....

is it a "Z" series?

Haematic - International Terrorist, Inclina Deus - Ranger

The following future subject(s) of Borlis Pass, Delune, Haematic, and Ms. Spring Sunshine, henceforth decreed to be INTERNATIONAL TERRORISTS and OUTLAWS by command of the all-seeing and glorious Borlis Authorities, have been judged guilty in absentia of committing the crime of Injustica, and are hereby condemned by law to suffer 10,000 years of unrelenting capital punishment, to be carried out by licensed agents of this Law on sight.

i7-3770k OC @ 4.5ghz (1.29v), GTX 980 FTW ACX2.0, (4x)4gb HyperX RAM, EVO850 SSD x2 x500gb, ASRock Z77 Extreme 4, -- 70c @ load (CPU), Air cooling with NH-D14, 35c ambient.

Legends Never [DIE]

Twitch - Haematic: FA Streamer
YouTube - Haematic: WvW / Roaming / PvP Videos

RIP Beaches Get [WET], Vincere Est Totum [VeT][TiN]

[–]QuickRain 1 point

1 month ago

Respected Commanders: Hae from DIE

Morg

Morg

Heretic

• Guild Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts
  • Invoker Morrighan

uhm..

it might be reading your core incorrectly..

try dling this tool -- http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

see if it says differently -- it looks like your board might not actually be adjusting core voltages....

is it a "Z" series?

Yeah, Z97. I took it off of "offset" and went instead to "auto" -> 1.295

I'm currently retesting 4.5GHz, 3 min in and not above 85 yet. Core 1 and 2 seem to run hotter than the rest.

Edit: it seems to be slightly throttling itself, bounces between 95 and 100%

Edited by Morg, 02 August 2015 - 09:30 PM.

Posted Image

Haematic

Haematic

• Guild Leader
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts
  • Haematic

I'm currently retesting 4.5GHz, 3 min in and not above 85 yet. Core 1 and 2 seem to run hotter than the rest.

That's normal.

Unless you spend a lot of $$$ on really good thermal paste that spreads out evenly, then you're going to have hotter cores & cooler cores.

My core #4 runs hot and I have a pretty decent thermal paste.. my highest temps are 85 @ 4.5ghz on core #4, all others are like 77.

The following future subject(s) of Borlis Pass, Delune, Haematic, and Ms. Spring Sunshine, henceforth decreed to be INTERNATIONAL TERRORISTS and OUTLAWS by command of the all-seeing and glorious Borlis Authorities, have been judged guilty in absentia of committing the crime of Injustica, and are hereby condemned by law to suffer 10,000 years of unrelenting capital punishment, to be carried out by licensed agents of this Law on sight.

i7-3770k OC @ 4.5ghz (1.29v), GTX 980 FTW ACX2.0, (4x)4gb HyperX RAM, EVO850 SSD x2 x500gb, ASRock Z77 Extreme 4, -- 70c @ load (CPU), Air cooling with NH-D14, 35c ambient.

Legends Never [DIE]

[–]QuickRain 1 point

1 month ago

Haematic

Haematic

• Guild Leader
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts
  • Haematic

Edit: it seems to be slightly throttling itself, bounces between 95 and 100%

Throttling is going to show changes in voltage not % used.

If your voltage is bouncing, that's how you know it's throttling.

You should have you "C" states turned off, and thermal throttling off.

You can stop the test yourself if temps are getting out of control while testing your OC.

Legends Never [DIE]

[–]QuickRain 1 point

1 month ago

Haematic

Haematic

• Guild Leader
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts
  • Haematic

http://hwbot.org/xtu...ersion=5.2.0.14

My most recent XTU Profile -- I had to re-Overclock my system because I think I reset it @ one point to install my SSD's.

Legends Never [DIE]

[–]QuickRain 1 point

1 month ago

Morg

Morg

Heretic

• Guild Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts
  • Invoker Morrighan

Alright so figured i'd post a screenshot at this point. And yeah, C-states are disabled

0FNDaqC.png

Posted Image

Haematic

Haematic

• Guild Leader
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts
  • Haematic

Alright so figured i'd post a screenshot at this point. And yeah, C-states are disabled

0FNDaqC.png

Yeah get Real Temp that i linked.

OCCT is really good for pushing your CPU; it pushes it more than XTU; but it's not the best @ reading thermals & voltages. **

Legends Never [DIE]

[–]QuickRain 1 point

1 month ago

Morg

Morg

Heretic

• Guild Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts
  • Invoker Morrighan

Update, 17 min in I reached over max value. Might up my cores to 1.35 and then if that fails I'll go back down.

Edit: will do.

Edited by Morg, 02 August 2015 - 09:46 PM.

Posted Image

Haematic

Haematic

• Guild Leader
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts
  • Haematic

I'm about to head off to bed here shortly so I'll leave on a few notes --

Test your Overclock w/ OCCT for 30min-1hour; that's the best test IMHO.

Download Intel XTU -- run a "Benchmark" Test, and submit your temps & "Score" from that test; if you pass, run a stress test for 30min using XTU to see if it behaves differently.

• Make sure you have Real Temp installed for XTU tests; it doesn't display voltages. You will use Real Temp to monitor voltages.

You can save your profile on Intel XTU so you don't lose it.

Don't exceed 85c and don't exceed 1.395v

4.5GHZ I would say is a very good OC, even 4.4GHZ is a step up from stock.

I think if you have questions throughout the night, Faulty Might be able to help you. :)

Legends Never [DIE]

[–]QuickRain 1 point

1 month ago

Morg

Morg

Heretic

• Guild Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts
  • Invoker Morrighan

I'm about to head off to bed here shortly so I'll leave on a few notes --

Test your Overclock w/ OCCT for 30min-1hour; that's the best test IMHO.

Download Intel XTU -- run a "Benchmark" Test, and submit your temps & "Score" from that test; if you pass, run a stress test for 30min using XTU to see if it behaves differently.

• Make sure you have Real Temp installed for XTU tests; it doesn't display voltages. You will use Real Temp to monitor voltages.

You can save your profile on Intel XTU so you don't lose it.

Don't exceed 85c and don't exceed 1.395v

4.5GHZ I would say is a very good OC, even 4.4GHZ is a step up from stock.

I think if you have questions throughout the night, Faulty Might be able to help you. :)

gotcha, thanks. XTU doesn't install onto win10 though :/

Posted Image

Morg

Morg

Heretic

• Guild Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts
  • Invoker Morrighan

Alright updating:

I poked around online, and a lot of people were talking about OCing the i5 I have as low as 1.2V

1.2V hanged my system (frozen sound, no BSOD) but 1.225V is doing well for the 30 minute test. I'll probably end here and do a stability test for 4 hrs, my temp max for the 30min one was 82C which seems pretty good.

I could try and bump it lower, I arrived at 1.225 by doing an arbitrary value tbh. Not sure if I want to atm though.

Edit: 30min graphs are at http://imgur.com/a/L1bBM

Edit 2: Bluescreened during my 4hr test about 10 min in on the same settings of the last. Bumping to 1.230 and retrying the 4hr

Edit 3: Strange, BSOD from opening Realtemp and then OCCT. Cited CPU-Z directory as cause of crash. Just for precaution since I'm heading to bed I'll up voltage again as well. 1.235 to be safe. Now running the 4hr test.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Results, 4 hour OCCT test passed with my processor not going above 85C. I've since made my fan curve a bit more aggressive.

Clock speed: 4.5 GHz

Core Voltage: 1.235V (actually reports in CPU-Z as 1.237)

Max temp: 85C

Average temp: 77C on higher-temp core, 71C on lower-temp cores

I may want to try and lower voltage by 0.05, but at this point I'm not sure if that'll do very much.

I think I'll want to either replace the default 212 Evo fan or eventually treat myself to something nicer down the road. When Intel XTU updates so it can install on Windows 10 I will do so and run their benches.

I'm currently sitting in GW2 with everything maxed out in Lion's Arch. Supersampling, full SMAA, everything at high and LOD at ultra, reflections on All, high res character textures, best texture filter, AO, and light adaptation. In windowed fullscreen, I'm sitting at a consistent 40-41 fps at Trader's Forum, the bank/MF area that everyone seems to idle at. I don't usually play with these settings but I'd like to see what my system thinks. 

Highest temp 80, average is 71 in highest core.

Edited by Morg, 03 August 2015 - 10:39 AM.

• Haematic likes this
Posted Image

Haematic

Haematic

• Guild Leader
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts
  • Haematic

Looks good.

Just be careful running those highest settings and streaming @ the same time; could reach high temps.

Looks like you successfully overclocked your 1st CPU; congrats. :)

Legends Never [DIE]

[–]QuickRain 1 point

1 month ago

Faulty Krew

Faulty Krew

Tech Support

• FA Member
  • 747 posts
  • GW2 User ID:guppysb.8524
  • Kon Charr Castrator
  • Guild:[PVP]
  • Race:Asura
  • Class:Necromancer

Holy crap, very nice morg! and Haematic is pretty pro now at OC. 

Posted ImagePosted Image

Morg

Morg

Heretic

• Guild Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts
  • Invoker Morrighan

Loading in GW2 is kinda scary, spikes me up to 80C sometimes. But DAMN THIS IS FAST YO

Posted Image

Haematic

Haematic

• Guild Leader
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts
  • Haematic
Cpu can operate at high temps. Highest temp before signs of failure is like 90+ and thermal throttling happens at like 105c

Legends Never [DIE]

[–]QuickRain 1 point

1 month ago

Haematic

Haematic

• Guild Leader
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts
  • Haematic
You can lower temps by looking at those graphs I supplied in the previous few pages. You might be at level 1 which means 100% voltage all the time but you can try auto and it could lower voltages in times where less calculations are needed

Legends Never [DIE]

[–]QuickRain 1 point

1 month ago

Morg

Morg

Heretic

• Guild Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts
  • Invoker Morrighan

You can lower temps by looking at those graphs I supplied in the previous few pages. You might be at level 1 which means 100% voltage all the time but you can try auto and it could lower voltages in times where less calculations are needed

Yeah I'm using Auto because it didn't seem to like Offset. I'll poke around in LLC later. Honestly I think I'll be happier in a month when I move up to my college apartment. Ambient temps will be much cooler.

Posted Image

Haematic

Haematic

• Guild Leader
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts
  • Haematic

LLC is like the min/max after you get your system stable.

it can get addicting

i once spent an entire saturday min / maxing, got nowhere; but learned a shit ton.... :)

Legends Never [DIE]

[–]QuickRain 1 point

1 month ago

Faulty Krew

Faulty Krew

Tech Support

• FA Member
  • 747 posts
  • GW2 User ID:guppysb.8524
  • Kon Charr Castrator
  • Guild:[PVP]
  • Race:Asura
  • Class:Necromancer

PSA:- Do not use Prime95 to stress test anymore or until it is fixed. It has been over doing its tasks and burning CPUs if not used properly. 

Posted ImagePosted Image