Rasern
  • FA Member
  • 205 posts
  • GW2 User ID:Rasern.3562
  • Lord Bowser Koopa
  • Guild:[coVn]
  • Race:Charr
  • Class:Tempest

Ok stock test done. Temp never went above 62C. See the last image in the album.

http://imgur.com/a/Txtvl

I think we're ready for the next step.

• Haematic, RidgeNaby and BrantShic like this
"I'm a grade-A, 100% prime-cut final boss! I'm going to take over the world any day now!"
Posted Image

Haematic

Haematic

:dankbrien:

• Guild Leader
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts
  • GW2 User ID:Haematic.4913
  • Haematic
  • Guild:[DIE]
  • Race:Human
  • Class:Warrior

Nice!!!

Okay.. So we're going to do the following ---

Change your Turbo Mode back to "Manual"

and set your CPU Multiplier to 43

Go to your Offset Voltage, turn off Auto -- then set an offset of .05v

Make sure you're power saving settings are still off, boot up yor PC (it will boot up slow).

Let your computer load up your desktop for 5-min, then run the Stress Test -- you'll either see "Error! Stress Test Haulted" or a BSOD. If you recieve an Error, or BSOD, change your offset and add .01v until it stabilizes.

If you find you're using an offset > .08v, then we're not going to be able to stabilize your overclock unless we further troubleshoot other hardware.

Make sure to monitor your temperature, it should NOT exceed 80-85c.

Also, screen shot 7, turn turbo mode off, or else it will over set your voltages to your CPUto like 1.38v (way too much).

Haematic - International Terrorist, Inclina Deus - Ranger

The following future subject(s) of Borlis Pass, Delune, Haematic, and Ms. Spring Sunshine, henceforth decreed to be INTERNATIONAL TERRORISTS and OUTLAWS by command of the all-seeing and glorious Borlis Authorities, have been judged guilty in absentia of committing the crime of Injustica, and are hereby condemned by law to suffer 10,000 years of unrelenting capital punishment, to be carried out by licensed agents of this Law on sight.

i7-3770k OC @ 4.5ghz (1.29v), GTX 980 FTW ACX2.0, (4x)4gb HyperX RAM, EVO850 SSD x2 x500gb, ASRock Z77 Extreme 4, -- 70c @ load (CPU), Air cooling with NH-D14, 35c ambient.

Legends Never [DIE]

Twitch - Haematic: FA Streamer
YouTube - Haematic: WvW / Roaming / PvP Videos

RIP Beaches Get [WET], Vincere Est Totum [VeT][TiN]

[–]QuickRain 1 point

1 month ago

Respected Commanders: Hae from DIE

Rasern

Rasern
  • FA Member
  • 205 posts
  • Lord Bowser Koopa

So if I go to screenshot 7 and disable the turbo mode, and then go and set the CPU Ratio to 43, it auto re-enables turbo mode. In this new album, in the 5th screenshot, I set that configuration, and the 6th screenshot is what results from it. I don't think that's necessarily a problem, it's just kinda confusing since one menu impacts the other one. Just making sure this is set-up right before I run the test.

Anyway, here's the list of changes:

CPU Ratio = 43 (Auto enables Turbo mode and sets all 4 cores to 43)

CPU Offset Voltage = .050

EPU Power Saving Mode = Disabled

EDIT: http://imgur.com/a/RIlLx

"I'm a grade-A, 100% prime-cut final boss! I'm going to take over the world any day now!"
Posted Image

Haematic

Haematic

• Guild Leader
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts
  • Haematic

So if I go to screenshot 7 and disable the turbo mode, and then go and set the CPU Ratio to 43, it auto re-enables turbo mode. In this new album, in the 5th screenshot, I set that configuration, and the 6th screenshot is what results from it. I don't think that's necessarily a problem, it's just kinda confusing since one menu impacts the other one. Just making sure this is set-up right before I run the test.

Anyway, here's the list of changes:

CPU Ratio = 43 (Auto enables Turbo mode and sets all 4 cores to 43)

CPU Offset Voltage = .050

EPU Power Saving Mode = Disabled

EDIT: http://imgur.com/a/RIlLx

Okay, so I think that's a specific MOBO feature for you. You should be fine, mine for instance will add additional Vcore voltage; which I don't want.

Turn off CPU C1E.

Then do your test.

Edit: test for 20-30min

The following future subject(s) of Borlis Pass, Delune, Haematic, and Ms. Spring Sunshine, henceforth decreed to be INTERNATIONAL TERRORISTS and OUTLAWS by command of the all-seeing and glorious Borlis Authorities, have been judged guilty in absentia of committing the crime of Injustica, and are hereby condemned by law to suffer 10,000 years of unrelenting capital punishment, to be carried out by licensed agents of this Law on sight.

i7-3770k OC @ 4.5ghz (1.29v), GTX 980 FTW ACX2.0, (4x)4gb HyperX RAM, EVO850 SSD x2 x500gb, ASRock Z77 Extreme 4, -- 70c @ load (CPU), Air cooling with NH-D14, 35c ambient.

Legends Never [DIE]

[–]QuickRain 1 point

1 month ago

Rasern

Rasern
  • FA Member
  • 205 posts
  • Lord Bowser Koopa

Maybe I'm lucky. Passed for 30 minutes 1st try. Added proof to the album.

http://imgur.com/a/RIlLx

So what's next? Go ahead and give me the instructions, but I'll probably raid with coVn for the next hour.

Edit: My guess is simply bump up the CPU ratio by 1, re-test, rinse and repeat until you get a failure. Then bump back down to the last working number and run your 4-6 hour insurance test.

Posted Image

Haematic

Haematic

• Guild Leader
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts
  • Haematic

Yeah so.. bump up your CPU multiplier by "1" each time, til about 4.5ghz.

Once you hit 4.5ghz test it for 1-hour, see if it's stable, then (not immediately) "Benchmark" test your 4.5ghz settings.

You'll want a score of > 800 (which is a standard benchmark for AIR cooling overclocks).

If you're not breaking 80-85c @ full load, you can keep going from there, but you won't see siginifcantly gains until 4.8-5.0ghz (which starts to require 1.3-1.4v) <-- which is too much IMHO.

Legends Never [DIE]

[–]QuickRain 1 point

1 month ago

Faulty Krew

Faulty Krew

Tech Support

• FA Member
  • 747 posts
  • GW2 User ID:guppysb.8524
  • Kon Charr Castrator
  • Guild:[PVP]
  • Race:Asura
  • Class:Necromancer
Holy crap guys, I wanted to get into this convo but I was busy. I will go over this thread and see where I can offer some input, but I think Haem has it locked. Do not change the BLK from 100 to anything unless we need to tweak the min/max.

Edit: fcking autocowrecker
Posted ImagePosted Image

Rasern

Rasern
  • FA Member
  • 205 posts
  • Lord Bowser Koopa

Ok so after tweaking a bit, I can get stable on 4.4Ghz with a CPU Voltage Offset of .06. However, trying to jump to 4.5Ghz started to give me problems. I bumped the voltage offset as high as .08, but I ended up getting a blue screen. I could try .09, but per your comment Haem, you really don't want to go above .08 because we might have to troubleshoot some other hardware. It also seems weird that I'd have to bump at least .03 volts to get just a single incremental CPU bump.

It shouldn't be a heat problem. CPU temp's never gone above 69 during any of these exercises.

My only random thought at this point is, for some reason the Memory Frequency setting got put to 1333Mhz. I know for a fact I bought 1600Mhz RAM, so it seems odd that the RAM is underclocked at the moment. I didn't purposely set this, nor did I ever manually change it. I think the MOBO is auto correcting that value on its own, since it's been jumping around a bit.

Let me know if ya'll have any thoughts, or if you need to see some more screens. I'll try and work a bit tomorrow on this, but it's not a huge deal if I can't get to 4.5. You guys have been a great help so far!

Posted Image

Faulty Krew

Faulty Krew

Tech Support

• FA Member
  • 747 posts
  • Kon Charr Castrator

Rasern that is because you might not be running XMP profile in the memory profile settings.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Haematic

Haematic

• Guild Leader
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts
  • Haematic
Yeah the temps look good

It appears your ram is unstabilizing your overclock. Bring your base clock to 100 from 101. ( this is why I said it causes issues ) that 1 extra block might be an issue.

On your ram settings it should read 1,600. If your mobo says auto or anything other than 1,600 it's not reading your ram correctly. Faulty might be able to help you with that one.

Legends Never [DIE]

[–]QuickRain 1 point

1 month ago

Haematic

Haematic

• Guild Leader
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts
  • Haematic
Also we might be able to lower your voltage from using the lower block of 100 from 101. Which is good.

Legends Never [DIE]

[–]QuickRain 1 point

1 month ago

Faulty Krew

Faulty Krew

Tech Support

• FA Member
  • 747 posts
  • Kon Charr Castrator
So if you look at dram speed, its set to auto, can you show the other options available.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Faulty Krew

Faulty Krew

Tech Support

• FA Member
  • 747 posts
  • Kon Charr Castrator

Ok, so I looked through and you see where it says memory frequency, it should allow you to adjust that to 1600, if not you will have to manually set the timing for the ram which is 

• Timing 9-9-9-24

If we need to go to that step, no worries, it can be done!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Rasern

Rasern
  • FA Member
  • 205 posts
  • Lord Bowser Koopa

Hey faulty, sorry I didn't get back until now. So what I did was I set the XMP profile, and it simply read in the correct specs for the RAM. See these screenshots:

http://imgur.com/a/tYJAo

The test lasted longer this time. About 15 minutes through. Still ended up with a blue screen though. I have to head to bed, but I might try bumping the voltage to .090 and see if that's enough. Seemed setting the XMP profile helped, but it's not quite there.

EDIT: Also, the base clock is at 100. I actually ended up changing that a while back when I got the 4.4GHz stabilized.

Double Edit: So I read an article regarding the Load-Line Calibration (LLC) setting, and how managing that can help with your overclock. (Something about getting the set voltage per the BIOS closer to the actual voltage under both a load and an idle situation) However, you have to be very careful because that setting helps correct drops in voltage, and if its too high, you can actually boost voltage and risk frying your CPU.

For shiggles I looked at the current setting, and it's set to AUTO. Course, I have no clue if that means the value is high or low.... I'm thinking I shouldn't leave it there, and pick something more cautious. Also, when I run these stress tests, the Intel program doesn't seem to monitor voltage. Should I run CPU-Z in the background too to watch it?

Posted Image

Haematic

Haematic

• Guild Leader
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts
  • Haematic

Hey faulty, sorry I didn't get back until now. So what I did was I set the XMP profile, and it simply read in the correct specs for the RAM. See these screenshots:

http://imgur.com/a/tYJAo

The test lasted longer this time. About 15 minutes through. Still ended up with a blue screen though. I have to head to bed, but I might try bumping the voltage to .090 and see if that's enough. Seemed setting the XMP profile helped, but it's not quite there.

EDIT: Also, the base clock is at 100. I actually ended up changing that a while back when I got the 4.4GHz stabilized.

Double Edit: So I read an article regarding the Load-Line Calibration (LLC) setting, and how managing that can help with your overclock. (Something about getting the set voltage per the BIOS closer to the actual voltage under both a load and an idle situation) However, you have to be very careful because that setting helps correct drops in voltage, and if its too high, you can actually boost voltage and risk frying your CPU.

For shiggles I looked at the current setting, and it's set to AUTO. Course, I have no clue if that means the value is high or low.... I'm thinking I shouldn't leave it there, and pick something more cautious. Also, when I run these stress tests, the Intel program doesn't seem to monitor voltage. Should I run CPU-Z in the background too to watch it?

You can do that, because CPU-Z isn't putting much if any stress on your CPU during a stress test.

Your offset voltage @ .09v is getting a little high, I'm surprised your CPU isn't reaching 80c-85c with that voltage (you should be @ approxmately 1.32v with that offset). It's getting up there, but I mean as long as your temps aren't going crazy... it's not too much of a scare.

If you're worried about hurting your CPU, don't be. The i7-3770k Ivybridge CPU is literally a tank, the thing was designed to operate 24/7 @ 90c, and starts throttling @ 105c -- you don't want it to throttle, but I'm just sayin' that CPU is a tank.

I see that the RAM now has help stabilized your overclock, thats good.

I have mine set to AUTO for LLC -- mainly because my voltage is controlled by the offset and shouldn't ever exceed what I've instructed my BIOS to send thru my CPU phase. I see your phase control is set to "Extreme" which means there is NO droop in your voltage, so your machine is constantly @ 1.3X volts 24/7. If you have a "Turbo" option available, that might help keep your CPU @ lower temperatures during idle times // internet browsing, video streaming, etc.

If you tamper with the LLC, do baby-steps, and just be careful. I wouldn't be worried about your CPU, I would be worried that something on your MOBO might affect other hardware, including itself.

Legends Never [DIE]

[–]QuickRain 1 point

1 month ago

Haematic

Haematic

• Guild Leader
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts
  • Haematic

Also, it should be noted, @ 4.4ghx you've increased your CPU speed/capacity by 25%

I see that as having an extra 2-logical cores ;) -- perfect for recording / streaming game play!

4.5ghz is the goal, but if we can't get there, 4.4ghz is still a decent OC!

Edit: Just as something that I've experienced from my overclock -- when I would stream @ 1080p on "Fast" encoding settings for Twitch (Prior to overclocking) my CPU would run @ 99-100% while streaming, and would drop frames. After I overclocked, and got it stable, I've been able to do the same, but @ 80% capacity which would really help my frames while streaming, and allow me to stream those massive EBG fights. ;)

Also, rendering my videos has been extremely faster, and uses less of my CPU capacity (before it was @ like 75% to render 4K HD), now it's @ 50%.

Legends Never [DIE]

[–]QuickRain 1 point

1 month ago

Rasern

Rasern
  • FA Member
  • 205 posts
  • Lord Bowser Koopa

Is there a temperature monitoring program you'd recommend? I'm simply looking for an additional data point to verify the Intel utility isn't lying to me. I was pretty surprised the temps have never broken 70 once considering I'm doing air cooling.

Posted Image

Faulty Krew

Faulty Krew

Tech Support

• FA Member
  • 747 posts
  • Kon Charr Castrator
You can use core temp. Also can you disable Asus Multicore Enhancement and the retest 4.5.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Rasern

Rasern
  • FA Member
  • 205 posts
  • Lord Bowser Koopa

Sure I'll give that a shot tonight. Course, the ratio limits on all four cores are equivalent, so shouldn't that change do absolutely nothing? You never know though...

Posted Image

Faulty Krew

Faulty Krew

Tech Support

• FA Member
  • 747 posts
  • Kon Charr Castrator
So I have been reading the same thing, but also that it will drop and increase voltage along with it.
Posted ImagePosted Image