• Guild Leader
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts
  • GW2 User ID:Haematic.4913
  • Haematic
  • Guild:[DIE]
  • Race:Human
  • Class:Warrior

This thread's intention is to help fellow Fort Aspenwood members who wish to overclock their Intel CPU's.

There's a lot of good information on the internet, regarding overclocking CPU's, but there's just as much bad information out there as well, so please take extreme care when you're looking to overclock any of your computer hardware.

Here are my recommended websites to reference, when overclocking your CPU:

• http://Tomshardware.com
    • When you're browsing this website for help, make sure you're looking @ threads that are [SOLVED], for there will be an answer to the OP's question; leaving a lot of the guessing out of the equation.
    • When you're viewing user's "SOLVED" posts', make sure to see if the user who solved the issue has a website tag indicating that their account is vouched for: CPU, Memory, and Motherboard support.
  • http://Overclock.net
    • This forum has a lot of good information on what NOT TO DO. Many users post their failures, and their corrective actions in fixing those errors. This information is extremely helpful, because it will keep you from frying your PC.
    • Like Tom's Hardware, users typically have "vouches" indicating what areas they're proficient in, when overclocking.
  • http://guru3d.com
    • I had little luck with this website, but it does have some useful information. I would use this site for reference only, and wouldn't trust it as much as Tom's or Overclock.net

Here's my own Guide for overclocking your CPU:

[CPU Checklist] [X]

Spoiler

[Motherboard Check List] [X]

Spoiler

[RAM Check List] [X]

Spoiler

[Pre-BIOS Settings & Windows Check List] [X]

Spoiler

[Software Requirements & Downloads] [X]

Spoiler

[BIOS Checklist] [X]

Spoiler

[Trouble Shooting a Failed OVERCLOCK] [X]

Spoiler

04/09/2015 - Complete

----- Videos -----

Edited by Haematic, 29 April 2015 - 09:25 AM.

• Faulty Krew, RidgeNaby, BrantShic and 4 others like this

Haematic - International Terrorist, Inclina Deus - Ranger

The following future subject(s) of Borlis Pass, Delune, Haematic, and Ms. Spring Sunshine, henceforth decreed to be INTERNATIONAL TERRORISTS and OUTLAWS by command of the all-seeing and glorious Borlis Authorities, have been judged guilty in absentia of committing the crime of Injustica, and are hereby condemned by law to suffer 10,000 years of unrelenting capital punishment, to be carried out by licensed agents of this Law on sight.

i7-3770k OC @ 4.5ghz (1.29v), GTX 980 FTW ACX2.0, (4x)4gb HyperX RAM, EVO850 SSD x2 x500gb, ASRock Z77 Extreme 4, -- 70c @ load (CPU), Air cooling with NH-D14, 35c ambient.

Legends Never [DIE]

Twitch - Haematic: FA Streamer
YouTube - Haematic: WvW / Roaming / PvP Videos

RIP Beaches Get [WET], Vincere Est Totum [VeT][TiN]

[–]QuickRain 1 point

1 month ago

Respected Commanders: Hae from DIE

Faulty Krew

Faulty Krew

Tech Support

• FA Member
  • 747 posts
  • GW2 User ID:guppysb.8524
  • Kon Charr Castrator
  • Guild:[PVP]
  • Race:Asura
  • Class:Necromancer
I think we also need an AMD overclocker, so please if have an AMD system and over clocking it, enlighten this thread.
  • Haematic likes this
Posted ImagePosted Image

Haematic

Haematic

:dankbrien:

• Guild Leader
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts
  • Haematic

I think we also need an AMD overclocker, so please if have an AMD system and over clocking it, enlighten this thread.

Yes, please.

I know not of AMD, but it would be helpful to those who have them.

Faulty, I would suggest having your "reply" as your "pin" on this thread; since ultimately you pushed me to understand the material I've covered so far.

I will finish the material, later - I'm hoping to get this pinned. 

The following future subject(s) of Borlis Pass, Delune, Haematic, and Ms. Spring Sunshine, henceforth decreed to be INTERNATIONAL TERRORISTS and OUTLAWS by command of the all-seeing and glorious Borlis Authorities, have been judged guilty in absentia of committing the crime of Injustica, and are hereby condemned by law to suffer 10,000 years of unrelenting capital punishment, to be carried out by licensed agents of this Law on sight.

i7-3770k OC @ 4.5ghz (1.29v), GTX 980 FTW ACX2.0, (4x)4gb HyperX RAM, EVO850 SSD x2 x500gb, ASRock Z77 Extreme 4, -- 70c @ load (CPU), Air cooling with NH-D14, 35c ambient.

Legends Never [DIE]

[–]QuickRain 1 point

1 month ago

Faulty Krew

Faulty Krew

Tech Support

• FA Member
  • 747 posts
  • Kon Charr Castrator
I am perfectly fine with that.
  • Haematic likes this
Posted ImagePosted Image

Rasern

Rasern
  • FA Member
  • 205 posts
  • GW2 User ID:Rasern.3562
  • Lord Bowser Koopa
  • Guild:[coVn]
  • Race:Charr
  • Class:Tempest

Thanks for posting. Maybe I can will myself to give this a shot in the near future. I bought an unlocked CPU for a reason... or so I keep telling myself.

• Haematic likes this
"I'm a grade-A, 100% prime-cut final boss! I'm going to take over the world any day now!"
Posted Image

Faulty Krew

Faulty Krew

Tech Support

• FA Member
  • 747 posts
  • Kon Charr Castrator

Take the first step! Help is here. But note this, it could be a long journey.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Haematic

Haematic

• Guild Leader
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts
  • Haematic

Thanks for posting. Maybe I can will myself to give this a shot in the near future. I bought an unlocked CPU for a reason... or so I keep telling myself.

Hey you got an unlocked CPU just check if your motherboard has the ability to overclock. Go through the checklist and see if those settings are available.

If you're running an after market hear sink it might be a shorter journey for you.

I would advise you to share your specs it will make it easier for us to help you.
  • Rasern likes this

Legends Never [DIE]

[–]QuickRain 1 point

1 month ago

Rasern

Rasern
  • FA Member
  • 205 posts
  • Lord Bowser Koopa

Didn't get to it this weekend. Wayyyyy too busy. But here's the parts list.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RZ8Kcf

"I'm a grade-A, 100% prime-cut final boss! I'm going to take over the world any day now!"
Posted Image

Faulty Krew

Faulty Krew

Tech Support

• FA Member
  • 747 posts
  • Kon Charr Castrator

Alright Rasen lets start, I will be getting to know your mobo soon. So when you are ready let me know or Heam, we will guide you through this process

Posted ImagePosted Image

Haematic

Haematic

• Guild Leader
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts
  • Haematic

Didn't get to it this weekend. Wayyyyy too busy. But here's the parts list.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RZ8Kcf

Ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, a i7-3770k...

Look at that, it appears off the bat you're going to be in a good position to overclock.

I had that same Heat Sink & CPU -- but I machined my heat sink, only because I didn't 100% like how that heat sink would sit on my CPU.

Let's hope your i7 is in the 80% of good CPU's released, so we can make this nice & easy for ya.

Alright --- so couple of questions ---

Do you render / create videos using Sony VEGAS, Powerdirector, Movie Maker, etc?

Do you stream?

Legends Never [DIE]

[–]QuickRain 1 point

1 month ago

Haematic

Haematic

• Guild Leader
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts
  • Haematic

Here's what your BIOS menu should look like ---

900x900px-LL-8d9dea25_130105180910.jpeg

900x900px-LL-916ebcb5_130105180922.jpeg

900x900px-LL-122ddf0e_130105181005.jpeg

Off the bat, it looks like this will be a walk in the park for you -- but we will take it 1-step @ a time, starting from the top.

[CPU Checklist] [X] - Check!

[Motherboard Check List] [X] - Check!

[RAM Check List] [X] - Check!

[Pre-BIOS Settings & Windows Check List] [O] - We need to turn your power saving mode(s) off before we start to overclock.

[Software Requirements & Downloads] [O] - We need to download stress testing software / benchmarking programs. These programs are going to stress test your computer to it's maximum capacity, to ensure your Overclock settings are stable enough for 24/7 use.

So my recommendations are OCCT & Intel XTU, here are the download links:

Intel XTU -- http://www.intel.com...ng-utility.html

For your specific overclock, I suggest we work with Intel XTU.

Legends Never [DIE]

[–]QuickRain 1 point

1 month ago

Rasern

Rasern
  • FA Member
  • 205 posts
  • Lord Bowser Koopa

Yep. That's what the BIOS menu looks like. I should be on the latest version, since I believe I updated it within the past 6 months. Easy enough to check sometime during the week. So to confirm, are those screenshots what I want the initial settings to be when I'm ready to begin, or were you simply using those as an example?

I occasionally render videos using Sony Vegas, and capture it with Shadowplay (though with some stuttering; I might give OBS a shot as a comparison). I don't do any streaming at the moment.

Posted Image

Faulty Krew

Faulty Krew

Tech Support

• FA Member
  • 747 posts
  • Kon Charr Castrator

I believe that is an example, just to get an idea of what the bios will look like for your specific mobo.

Along with what Haem has mentioned, start by changing that first core value to 38/39, in the screenshot you see 41 this means that is 4.1 ghz, you will start with 3.8ghz or 3.9ghz, once you confirm via XTU stress test, you can change those values to higher values 40/41/42/43. Once you have reached I want to say 41/42 then it will be time to start tweaking the voltage. 

You can start with the voltage at start but you will get a general idea in cpuid or XTU what the auto voltage is running at, and the goals is to keep it under 1.30 unless you are pushing above 4.3 ghz, then it is ok to try to min max all the way to 1.35 to achieve 4.5 or higher.

• Haematic likes this
Posted ImagePosted Image

Haematic

Haematic

• Guild Leader
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts
  • Haematic

I believe that is an example, just to get an idea of what the bios will look like for your specific mobo.

Along with what Haem has mentioned, start by changing that first core value to 38/39, in the screenshot you see 41 this means that is 4.1 ghz, you will start with 3.8ghz or 3.9ghz, once you confirm via XTU stress test, you can change those values to higher values 40/41/42/43. Once you have reached I want to say 41/42 then it will be time to start tweaking the voltage. 

You can start with the voltage at start but you will get a general idea in cpuid or XTU what the auto voltage is running at, and the goals is to keep it under 1.30 unless you are pushing above 4.3 ghz, then it is ok to try to min max all the way to 1.35 to achieve 4.5 or higher.

Yes, Faulty is correct - it's just an example to make sure that's what your BIOS is like -- it will make it easier for us to guide you through this.

Per Faulty, go through those motions -- but first DL Intel XTU & stress test your system, with power saving mode(s) off, on default settings.

Take some notes on CPU Temperature, and Mobo Temperature (System Temp) -- test this for 30min - 1hr before moving onto overclocking, you will use the "Stress Test" feature, if you pass it will indicate so, and we can move forward from there.

Edit: the reason we do this, is to make sure you have a solid CPU, believe it or not, not all CPU's are stable, even in factory stock condition (though this is extremely rare), we will make sure this isn't the case before overclocking your CPU.

Legends Never [DIE]

[–]QuickRain 1 point

1 month ago

Haematic

Haematic

• Guild Leader
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts
  • Haematic

Yep. That's what the BIOS menu looks like. I should be on the latest version, since I believe I updated it within the past 6 months. Easy enough to check sometime during the week. So to confirm, are those screenshots what I want the initial settings to be when I'm ready to begin, or were you simply using those as an example?

I occasionally render videos using Sony Vegas, and capture it with Shadowplay (though with some stuttering; I might give OBS a shot as a comparison). I don't do any streaming at the moment.

Alright this is good information -- overclocking is going to help with your frames & rendering time for videos. Between 4.0-4.2ghz you won't see a significant change in your CPU's performance, so I think our goal is to obtain a 4.3ghz overclock (stable), and we can go from there, but please go through the motions of my previous post first. :)

Edit -- On a side note, I have my CPU @ 4.8ghz w/ 1.28v w/ a load avg temp of 70c, which is considered a very good OC. If all goes well (and it should), after we get you to a 4.3ghz OC, I think we can get you to 4.4-4.5 as an END goal! :)

Legends Never [DIE]

[–]QuickRain 1 point

1 month ago

Rasern

Rasern
  • FA Member
  • 205 posts
  • Lord Bowser Koopa

Alright. Sounds like I got a plan of action. I'll check back probably this weekend. There's this annoying thing called a "work week" which gets in the way. Thanks for the info guys!

• Haematic and Faulty Krew like this
Posted Image

Rasern

Rasern
  • FA Member
  • 205 posts
  • Lord Bowser Koopa

Ok guys. I gotta disappear for lunch, but if you wouldn't mind confirming the following screens, I'd appreciate it.

I went into the BIOS and checked it's version 2403, last updated 3/14/2014 (pretty close to my build date, so I must have flashed it then). I think that's current enough. I got screens of the current settings (I didn't change anything yet). It seems like it might have already been somewhat overclocked out of the box maybe? I'm seeing the core ratio limits set at 41 already, so that seemed odd... Then again, it clearly states the CPU is an Intel Core i7-3770k @ 3.5GHz, which is the base value.

I turned off the power save options as you said. I also grabbed a screen of the stress test utility before I run it to make sure that's the settings I want to run with for the 1st time. Can you confirm I'm ready to run the test for the base configs?

http://imgur.com/a/Txtvl

Posted Image

Haematic

Haematic

• Guild Leader
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts
  • Haematic

Ok guys. I gotta disappear for lunch, but if you wouldn't mind confirming the following screens, I'd appreciate it.

I went into the BIOS and checked it's version 2403, last updated 3/14/2014 (pretty close to my build date, so I must have flashed it then). I think that's current enough. I got screens of the current settings (I didn't change anything yet). It seems like it might have already been somewhat overclocked out of the box maybe? I'm seeing the core ratio limits set at 41 already, so that seemed odd... Then again, it clearly states the CPU is an Intel Core i7-3770k @ 3.5GHz, which is the base value.

I turned off the power save options as you said. I also grabbed a screen of the stress test utility before I run it to make sure that's the settings I want to run with for the 1st time. Can you confirm I'm ready to run the test for the base configs?

http://imgur.com/a/Txtvl

1st Screen:

BLCK / PEG Frequency should read no larger than 100-101hmz, I see you have it set to 103 --- that's going to affect your GPU, RAM, and MOBO base clock rations, change that between a range of 100-101. You're putting uncessary stress on your machine currently.

Turn "Turbo Ratio" back to to "Auto" from manual - it should read as follows --> 39,38,38,37 or something along those lines (stock turbo).

Other than that, everything looks good.

If you're ever not certain you're in factory stock settings, your BIOS menu should have a "Restore Default Settings" option, which will bring your CPU, and bus speeds back to stock.

Once you're there, do a stress test in "Normal" -or- "Stock" settings for an hour, if you pass, we'll move on! :)

• Rasern likes this

Legends Never [DIE]

[–]QuickRain 1 point

1 month ago

Rasern

Rasern
  • FA Member
  • 205 posts
  • Lord Bowser Koopa

Figures I just now saw your post. I ran the stress test using the old settings and it passed. But if I'm putting "unnecessary strain" on my system for no reason, let's do it right. I've gone in and made those changes, and started a test. I'll follow-up in about an hour.

Posted Image

Haematic

Haematic

• Guild Leader
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts
  • Haematic

Sounds good.

Edit: After you pass the 1hr test & we begin to overclock, you won't need to test for an hour, 20-30minutes is good while slowly increasing CPU strength / checking stability.

Once we're 100% happy with our last setting, we will do a 1-4hr test to be absolutely sure you're system is a-okay.

Don't forget to monitor temperature reading during stock stress test.

Legends Never [DIE]

[–]QuickRain 1 point

1 month ago