SchrodingersCat
  • FA Member
  • 213 posts
  • GW2 User ID:SchrodingersCat.8190
  • Kovrick Shuvanon
  • Guild:[TLC]
  • Race:Charr
  • Class:Warrior

haha! I believe it. I am all for stealing unused computer parts from the SO...though I think she steals mine rather than me stealing hers >.>

I should go take a picture of my old midtower that still has it's HSF in it. Sucker barely fits.

Was gonna buy one of these monsters off of a local friend who couldn't fit it into his new case but it turns out he lost the bracket parts so no dice there. But it's such a beautiful mother-bubbin' beast! :3

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835170002

• Appzles likes this

"Commander in Training" -- [TLC] The Legion of Charr  (-)  [PVP] Players Killing Players  (-)  [UNIV] Dynamic Thesis Defense Unit (-)  Legends Never [DIE]  (<--->)  [NERF] Fort Engineer  (-)  [IA] Insomniacs-Anonymous

Minimal

Minimal
  • FA Member
  • 34 posts
  • GW2 User ID:Minimal.1584
  • Minimal
  • Race:Asura
  • Class:Guardian

New computer hype! Got some decent cash and bought some parts on newegg to build a new computer. I am going to use some parts from my current old computer to save money.

• GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
  • Intel Core i5-4690 Haswell Quad-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1150

• EVGA GeForce GTX 970 04G-P4-2976-KR 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support

• CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

• Phanteks “Enthoo Pro series” PH-ES614PC_BK Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

•  

• (Below is pulled from old computer)

•  

• CORSAIR CX series CX600 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

• WD 1 TB HDD @ 7200 RPM

• Seagate 500 GB HDD @ 7200 RPM (OS Drive)

• 1 Sata Cable (Need a extra one for the 2 HDD and a Optical Drive I picked for cheap)

• PNY Optima 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (Combining the 2x4 and this 2x2 for a total of 12 GB. They are the same speed so they can work with each other)

All of this for about 800$. 

Also ordered a Zowie FK1

Keyboard Is a Tt Esports Poseidon with brown switches.

Headphones are Sony MDR-XB500 (Nabbed them for 60$ and since then they stopped production and is now valued for 300$+)

and Microphone is a broken Turtle Beach Headset Mic. Mic still works but the headband part broke off.

Acer 21.5 inch 1920 x 1080 LCD Monitor

Wow this was long...

and pics!

http://phanteks.com/...nthoo-Pro_3.jpg

http://cdn.overclock...39_m4RTNV3.jpeg

http://www.techwarel...14/07/PZlit.jpg

http://i.ytimg.com/v...xresdefault.jpg

• Haematic, Morg, HiTandMayhem and 1 other like this

Haematic

Haematic

:dankbrien:

• Guild Leader
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,643 posts
  • GW2 User ID:Haematic.4913
  • Haematic
  • Guild:[DIE]
  • Race:Human

New computer hype! Got some decent cash and bought some parts on newegg to build a new computer. I am going to use some parts from my current old computer to save money.

• GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
  • Intel Core i5-4690 Haswell Quad-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1150

• EVGA GeForce GTX 970 04G-P4-2976-KR 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support

• CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

• Phanteks “Enthoo Pro series” PH-ES614PC_BK Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

•  

• (Below is pulled from old computer)

•  

• CORSAIR CX series CX600 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

• WD 1 TB HDD @ 7200 RPM

• Seagate 500 GB HDD @ 7200 RPM (OS Drive)

• 1 Sata Cable (Need a extra one for the 2 HDD and a Optical Drive I picked for cheap)

• PNY Optima 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (Combining the 2x4 and this 2x2 for a total of 12 GB. They are the same speed so they can work with each other)

All of this for about 800$. 

Also ordered a Zowie FK1

Keyboard Is a Tt Esports Poseidon with brown switches.

Headphones are Sony MDR-XB500 (Nabbed them for 60$ and since then they stopped production and is now valued for 300$+)

and Microphone is a broken Turtle Beach Headset Mic. Mic still works but the headband part broke off.

Acer 21.5 inch 1920 x 1080 LCD Monitor

Wow this was long...

and pics!

http://phanteks.com/...nthoo-Pro_3.jpg

http://cdn.overclock...39_m4RTNV3.jpeg

http://www.techwarel...14/07/PZlit.jpg

http://i.ytimg.com/v...xresdefault.jpg

esports

let me OC ur system

• Morg and HiTandMayhem like this

Haematic - International Terrorist, Inclina Deus - Ranger

The following future subject(s) of Borlis Pass, Delune, Haematic, and Ms. Spring Sunshine, henceforth decreed to be INTERNATIONAL TERRORISTS and OUTLAWS by command of the all-seeing and glorious Borlis Authorities, have been judged guilty in absentia of committing the crime of Injustica, and are hereby condemned by law to suffer 10,000 years of unrelenting capital punishment, to be carried out by licensed agents of this Law on sight.

i7-3770k OC @ 4.5ghz (1.29v), GTX 980 FTW ACX2.0, (4x)4gb HyperX RAM, EVO850 SSD x2 x500gb, ASRock Z77 Extreme 4, -- 70c @ load (CPU), Air cooling with NH-D14, 35c ambient.

Legends Never [DIE]

Twitch - Haematic: FA Streamer
YouTube - Haematic: WvW / Roaming / PvP Videos

RIP Beaches Get [WET], Vincere Est Totum [VeT][TiN]

[–]QuickRain 1 point

1 month ago

Respected Commanders: Hae from DIE

Minimal

Minimal
  • FA Member
  • 34 posts
  • Minimal

esports

let me OC ur system

So. Computer is done! Installation went smoothly. After boot OS did not go so well. I was having random BSOD after running it about 5 mins. Reseated the RAM and made sure my Heat-sink/Fan was in tight. After that it is running smoothly.

My only concern now is my temps. I was getting 60-62 C on my CPU and 65 c on my GPU. I increased both fan speeds but still getting around 55 c CPU when gaming. I possibly going to order a bigger better fan for my CPU. So no OC for me soon that's for sure

no pics yet but I will soon. Phone camera sucks but I will get some proper "Artistic" photo's with my DSLR Canon 5D that looks nice. For my first completely alone built PC, I'm really fucking happy with my results. I no longer drop frames when a zerg is on my screen!

• SchrodingersCat likes this

Faulty Krew

Faulty Krew

Tech Support

• FA Member
  • 747 posts
  • GW2 User ID:guppysb.8524
  • Kon Charr Castrator
  • Guild:[PVP]
  • Class:Necromancer
55 is normal. You only have to worry when its 80+ without oc
Posted ImagePosted Image

Minimal

Minimal
  • FA Member
  • 34 posts
  • Minimal

55 is normal. You only have to worry when its 80+ without oc

Even if this is the case, I would still feel better if it was lower. I guess im just super paranoid since it is a new computer and I had to save a lot of money for this. I want it to last for years. I was running super cool (35-45) on my old ass computer that was running AMD Phenom. I guess intel chips run hotter *shrug*

Haematic

Haematic

• Guild Leader
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,643 posts
  • Haematic

Even if this is the case, I would still feel better if it was lower. I guess im just super paranoid since it is a new computer and I had to save a lot of money for this. I want it to last for years. I was running super cool (35-45) on my old ass computer that was running AMD Phengom. I guess intel chips run hotter *shrug*

Yes they do. They use more voltage.

The following future subject(s) of Borlis Pass, Delune, Haematic, and Ms. Spring Sunshine, henceforth decreed to be INTERNATIONAL TERRORISTS and OUTLAWS by command of the all-seeing and glorious Borlis Authorities, have been judged guilty in absentia of committing the crime of Injustica, and are hereby condemned by law to suffer 10,000 years of unrelenting capital punishment, to be carried out by licensed agents of this Law on sight.

i7-3770k OC @ 4.5ghz (1.29v), GTX 980 FTW ACX2.0, (4x)4gb HyperX RAM, EVO850 SSD x2 x500gb, ASRock Z77 Extreme 4, -- 70c @ load (CPU), Air cooling with NH-D14, 35c ambient.

Legends Never [DIE]

[–]QuickRain 1 point

1 month ago

Morg

Morg

Heretic

• Guild Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts
  • GW2 User ID:Shinsetsuu.2849
  • Invoker Morrighan
  • Race:Sylvari
  • Class:Revenant

Even if this is the case, I would still feel better if it was lower. I guess im just super paranoid since it is a new computer and I had to save a lot of money for this. I want it to last for years. I was running super cool (35-45) on my old ass computer that was running AMD Phenom. I guess intel chips run hotter *shrug*

The Haswell series is pretty notorious for running hot, you can look up "delidding" and they'll explain why but I don't recommend doing what they do. tl;dw is quality control on their built-in heatsinks' mounting sucks.

Are you using a 4690 or 4690K? If it's not a K don't worry about upgrading your CPU fan. Regardless, if you have the 2 default fans in the case and you have money to burn you can always slap on another fan (you're running 1 in 1 out I think?)

You can do:

-Switch 200mm to top exhaust above CPU cooler, move back 140mm fan to front as intake and buy a 2nd so you're running 2x 140mm front intake

-If you're still iffy about it you can throw on a 140mm to the back as exhaust, not necessary though

-You're not running an AMD card so bottom-mounted intake shouldn't be a thing for you.

Honestly 3 fans is enough, and as a final comment I'd like to say I wish you got the Enthoo Luxe because that thing is sexy and I want pics :(

Posted Image

Minimal

Minimal
  • FA Member
  • 34 posts
  • Minimal

The Haswell series is pretty notorious for running hot, you can look up "delidding" and they'll explain why but I don't recommend doing what they do. tl;dw is quality control on their built-in heatsinks' mounting sucks.

Are you using a 4690 or 4690K? If it's not a K don't worry about upgrading your CPU fan. Regardless, if you have the 2 default fans in the case and you have money to burn you can always slap on another fan (you're running 1 in 1 out I think?)

You can do:

-Switch 200mm to top exhaust above CPU cooler, move back 140mm fan to front as intake and buy a 2nd so you're running 2x 140mm front intake

-If you're still iffy about it you can throw on a 140mm to the back as exhaust, not necessary though

-You're not running an AMD card so bottom-mounted intake shouldn't be a thing for you.

Honestly 3 fans is enough, and as a final comment I'd like to say I wish you got the Enthoo Luxe because that thing is sexy and I want pics :(

Nah im dont have the 4690K. And yes I do have one intake fan and one exhaust fan. I been looking at temps and it has been a steady 55 C while playing GW2. 

Also the main reason why i got the case i got, I like sleeper status. Im not a big fan of LED, Side windows, and such things like that. I like it to sit big and tall under my desk with a slight red glow from the Mobo.

• Comes with 2 Phanteks Premium Fans 
    1 x 200mm in front
    1 x 140mm in rear

• Morg likes this

Morg

Morg

Heretic

• Guild Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts
  • Invoker Morrighan
Yea 55 is good. I hit 70 playing gw2
Posted Image

Minimal

Minimal
  • FA Member
  • 34 posts
  • Minimal

Yea 55 is good. I hit 70 playing gw2

So intel chips are supposed to run at that temp? Is it bad for it to be that high? Any damage gonna happen?

Morg

Morg

Heretic

• Guild Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts
  • Invoker Morrighan

At 55? Nothing will happen. I think the rule of thumb is that if you're running >80C for a prolonged time (sustained) then it's bad, but anything before that is ok.

• Minimal likes this
Posted Image

Haematic

Haematic

• Guild Leader
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,643 posts
  • Haematic

Your chip can run @ 85c 24/7 and still have a full life.

Your mobo on the otherhand, well, that will go before your CPU most likely.

Legends Never [DIE]

[–]QuickRain 1 point

1 month ago

SchrodingersCat

SchrodingersCat
  • FA Member
  • 213 posts
  • GW2 User ID:SchrodingersCat.8190
  • Kovrick Shuvanon
  • Guild:[TLC]
  • Race:Charr

I guess intel chips run hotter *shrug*

It's funny you say that because when I built my older rig many many years ago the situation was reversed. AMD and Intel trade places in a lot of things. Heat output and efficiency is one of those things.

As others have said. The chips of a CPU and GPU can run VERY hot (compared to the outside world). Honestly I wouldn't be comfortable running my CPU hotter than 75ºC and I tend to shoot even lower still but that's MY personal preference. They can do quite well for a bit hotter! Basically at these levels you're competing with the temperature range of the chips in question vs how low into that range you want to push. I am a computer modder with a thing for cool and quiet machines. My old rig ran with mid-low temps and was damn near silent. My new rig has a lot of unfinished mods including the cooling system. So for now it's using stock coolers, which aren't as efficient and are noisy fucks, but they still get the job done and my temperatures are incredibly average for my hardware.

If you want to really start playing the temperature and cooling game I recommend first that you not be adverse to physics and DIY tinkering. Then I recommend googling around especially in the overclock.net and hardforum.org forums.

"Commander in Training" -- [TLC] The Legion of Charr  (-)  [PVP] Players Killing Players  (-)  [UNIV] Dynamic Thesis Defense Unit (-)  Legends Never [DIE]  (<--->)  [NERF] Fort Engineer  (-)  [IA] Insomniacs-Anonymous

Minimal

Minimal
  • FA Member
  • 34 posts
  • Minimal

Your chip can run @ 85c 24/7 and still have a full life.

Your mobo on the otherhand, well, that will go before your CPU most likely.

My Mobo runs at a constant 35 C. Its actually really cold. Thanks for the advice guys

HiTandMayhem

HiTandMayhem

Kung Fu Bunneh

• Guild Leader
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Discord ID:http://replycandy.com/wp-content/uploads/Godzilla-Nope-Response-Meme.jpg
  • GW2 User ID:HiTandMayhem.1378
  • Guild:[UNIV]

I'm sure some of you might yawn at the recent upgrade I got (thanks to a generous benefactor) but wow, the game doesn't have a fight start-stop issue anymore.

Here's a video of how fights looked on my old laptop setup:

Now new desktop has -

Intel Xeon E5 Core i7

Samsung SSD 840 EVO

Nvidia GeForce GTX 670

also yes, wireless bc it would be impossible for me to string an ethernet cable downstairs and not have someone break their neck, but Toxo found a TP-link 802.11 ac card for cheap. :)

Anyway, everything much prettier on full [though I nerf graphics for WvW] and fights not a slide show so far, so I am a very happy and very thankful camper.

• Tangnu, Delune, Vasnia and 2 others like this

Dynamics Thesis Defense Unit [UNIV] - Mperious Leader ~cum gaudium et nex~
Die Schleichermaus [DSM]- Officer, founding member ~cum amicitiam et distractio~
The Legion of Charrs [TLC] - Micro Centurion ~cum dentes et caudae~
Reichii's Reapers [NODE] (RiP)- Former Wood Pecker ~Quandoque bonus colligimus Chaba~
Fuq Pee Pee Tee [FPPT] - PPT Fuqr ~cum malleus et sale~

alLdv4m.jpg

voLaaa

voLaaa
  • FA Member
  • 71 posts
  • GW2 User ID:voLaaa.9108
  • Aeryn Tyrell
  •  NZXT S340 Elite Matte Black Steel/Tempered Glass ATX Mid Tower
  •  Intel Core i5-6600k 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1151
  •  ASUS Z170-A LGA 1151 Intel Z170 ATX Motherboard-
  •  Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3000
  •  EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC Gaming ACX 3.0
  •  SeaSonic M12II 750W Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE PSU
  •  Samsung 750 EVO 2.5" 500GB SSD
  •  Western Digtal Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 7200 RPM HDD
  •  TP-Link Archer T8E PCI Express Wireless Dual Band Adapter
  •  Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2 Extreme AIO CPU Cooler

I'd provide pics, but I'm lazy af. :advHAA:

• Delune and HiTandMayhem like this

Apex Prime [APeX]Critical Mass [CM]The Disaster [TheD]Baewatch [Bae], Legends Never [DIE]
Aeryn Tyrell - voLaaa.9108
Guardian for [DIE]

Bradius

Bradius
  • Guild Officer
  • 9 posts
  • GW2 User ID:Bradius.6025
  • Bradius Maximus
  • Guild:[UNIV]

This is what I'm running...

Motherboard: MSI

CPU: Intel i7 6700

Ram: 32GB DDR4-2133

Video: GTX970 4GB GDDR5

Storage: 512GB Samsung NVMe M.2 Gen 3 SSD

Storage: 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD

Monitor: LG 34UC88-B 34" 21:9 Ultra-Wide QHD Curved IPS Panel

Keyboard: Logitech G610 Mechanical Keyboard (Cherry MX Switches)

Mouse: Logitech G900 Pro Gaming Mouse

Headset: Logitech G933 Wireless Gaming Headset

And when I'm bored I play on a 120" screen (Epson LS10500 4K projector) -right now my wife is using it to play GW2 with her rig...

• HiTandMayhem likes this

hot_jrb

hot_jrb

Soccer Mom

• FA Member
  • 180 posts
  • GW2 User ID:aandiarie.7195
  • Daenerys Dragoneye
  • Guild:[Beep]
  • Race:Norn

Is that a really good set up :)